Deaf culture was started in order to cooperate with those having inability in hearing. The members of these cultures communicates by the help of sign languages. There are over 200 sign languages used in this world for communicating with the one who is unable to listen. Here in this article we are going to discuss the characteristics, values and beliefs of deaf cultures :
Values And Beliefs
- They value in showing a positive attitude towards deafs. They consider deafness as a reality and believe that this is not a weakness which needs to be fixed.
- Sign languages are majorly used in deaf culture. Some of them also condemn the surgeries for cochlear implant.
- The people belonging to this culture value the use of sign languages such as American Sign Language (ASL) or British Sign Language (BSL). The three symbolic systems for representing these languages are spoken English, written English and signed English.
- They strongly condemn against all the differences between deaf and the hearing people.
- Deaf culture in United States is often implemented among a number of people or groups.
- Culturally, these people have a right of getting etiquette attention, communication facilities through sign languages and polittle instructions about environment.
- These people mostly inform other deafs also that what is happening in their environment.
- The deaf can be more direct , blunt or rude as compared to the one hearing him/her.
- While introducing themselves, the deaf people often prefer to find people like them, which relatively decreases their community.
- The deaf people should consider time more importantly like if the person is student then he/she should go soon in the lecture hall so they get an appropriate seat in class which provides them an appropriate visual look of the lecture.
Usage Of Technology
- Particularly in United States the deaf relies on technology, the software-driven video phones are used by deafs to to carry telephonic conversations with family and friends. Devices like TTY are also used by deafs who have not a good internet connection near their place.
- Technology also plays an important role when you talk about face to face talks. For example, when a person having hearing loss meets a hearing person they normally talk to each other by help of a notepad on their phones. The technology has helped here to take place of a human sensemaking deaf to understand what is going around.
- There is a great importance of social media in the life of deafs which helps deafs to find each other and build a relationship among them. Many deaf people have found other deaf people around the world through social media.
- While talking about televisions, there must be closed captions available for every broadcast so that the deaf can understand what is going im the broadcast.
- Alert systems like flashing lights or vibrating pillows are used for the deafs to alert them in an alarming situation.
Deaf culture is found to be quite helpful for the deafs to appreciate their weakness and make them understand that they should not feel shattered about not having this sense available for them.
A person having disability in hearing can face a number of problems regarding their daily lives. As facing hearing loss can affect the communication badly so this weakness affects every field of life. Some of the phases which are affected badly by deafness are discussed here in this article:
This communication inability affects strongly in family relationship or the strength of relationships as this loss limits the communicating relationship between the deaf and others who can listen well. According to a study it was found that most of the children who are deaf have parents who can hear well, this affects the bond between the parents and children in a negative way. If a parent learn to communicate through verbal language and the children is good at understanding sign signals then this will lead to a declining communication. This all leads to misunderstandings resulting fights and less discussions about life issues which weakens the relationship. Due to all these differences a gap is developed between the deaf person and the other family members which badly frustrates the deaf one. Even if there is a person in family who learns signal language or other techniques to make the deaf understand what others are talking about but still it will keep them away from casual routines like discussion at the dining table and a lot more so the deaf person will feel excluded from family due to miscommunications.
Individuals facing hearing impairment can face a lot of communication problems which proves to be a barrier between the one who can listen and the other who can not. Extra curricular activities and social friendships or relationships are the two major areas which are affected badly due to these problems. As extra curricular activities boosts up the minds and develops the emotions and social life of a young person, this inability keeps the deaf out of these enjoyments and activities. Generally, you can say that deafness keeps away the person from getting social or making friends and enjoying life by roaming around with some humorously joking buddies. The conversations between a hearing and non hearing one are often limited as they both don’t have the same communication method.
While working with a number of colleagues the one who is facing partial or complete deafness often find themselves apart from all the conversations or meetings happening around in the office. This unintentionally results in keeping the one with this inability out of gatherings, programs or normal conversations among colleagues. Also, the rules and regulations are often discussed through communications and the one who can not understand will probably face some failures in their job performance, affecting the development of their careers very badly.
Above discussed are very few of the problems faced by a deaf person. We should cooperate with such people in every way possible whether by understanding their signals or by making them understand our conversations by any language which they can understand, so they don’t feel bad or frustrated about their weakness. Feel blessed about what you have and show your thankfulness by spreading love and helping those who don’t have the blessing of hearing.
There are various treatments available for those having inability of hearing. The treatment is given to a patient according to the extent and type of hearing impairment. The deafness caused due to noise or age increases day by day and there is no treatment to reverse the disorder,but there are treatments available for particular cases helping the patient to improve hearing through surgical treatment or other ways. Some of the treatments are discussed here in this article :
Such devices which helps in improving the hearing capability or speech understanding of people facing deafness are known as hearing aids. The working of these devices is to magnify all the sounds around to make it easy for the deaf to understand what is being spoken around. The use of these devices is effective for some while others prefer not to use such devices. The reason why these devices are not preferably used is that the devices produces high amplifications of sounds which disturbs the comfort of the healer, another reason can be a financial factor because the maintenance of these devices is very important.
These devices are practiced by many deaf people. If an individual want to communicate then they can communicate using the device Telephone Typewriter (TTY). Other examples of such devices are textphone, or Telecommunication Devices for Deafs (TDD). The devices resembles to a typewriter and transfers the typed message by help of telephone lines. This makes communication by visual messaging possible making it easy for the deaf to understand message.
Hearing dogs devices are another example of such devices which are designed to alert the deaf or one facing partial deafness with some important sounds like sounds of doorbells, alarms, telephones etc.
Transmitters are used in phone to alert about the ringing of telephone by a light or vibration making it easy for a person to understand their telephone rings.
The Hearing Aid Telephone Interconnect System provides a hands free amplification system for helping the individuals to provide them phones with high amplifications helping the patient to understand sounds.
These devices consists of two main comments, the one is known as transmitter and the other is receiver. The working of transmitter is to broadcast the coming sounds and the receiver is used for detection of broadcasted sounds which connects to the hearing aids or other accommodations.
FM, audio induction loop and infrared are three examples of common wireless aids. Every system is useful and helpful for a particular purpose. FM either works on a battery or by connection to electric charge. These systems are small in size which makes them easy to use. The audio induction loops provides an accessory called “telecoil” containing hearing aid processor inside to help the user not to wear earpiece for listening. The infrared wireless system also consists of a receiver which must be carried out with the patient.
These all treatments are designed specifically to aid the weakness of those who are unfortunately unable to enjoy their sense of listening.
Deafness, hearing loss or hearing impairment is a disease which causes partial or total inability of hearing. This hearing impairment can occur in a single ear or in both ears. If the inability is by birth in children then this also affects their ability of learning spoken languages. In adults, it causes communication problems and results to loneliness. This hearing loss occurs for a time period or sometimes forever. Here in this article we are going to discuss some causes which results in hearing loss:
Presbycusis is a disease which affects the hearing ability of high frequencies with rise in age. The disease can affect men at an early age of 25 and women at 30. The conditions which increases the chances of facing hearing loss in elderly people are high blood pressure, diabetes or such medications which can harm ear. The extent of hearing loss in elderly people varies with various conditions.
Approximately half of half or hearing loss cases occur due to exposure to noise. According to the research of National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) most of the hearing loss hi caused due to noise exposure and not due to aging or other reasons. This hearing loss can be temporary called ‘temporary threshold’. The hearing loss can be recovered within 24 hours or in severe conditions it takes a week to recover. You can face permanent hearing loss in both conditions, whether you are experiencing constant exposure to loud sounds i.e. 85 dB (A) or a single time exposure to very loud sound i.e. 120 dB (A).
There is an unawareness in the society regarding the damages which can be caused by hearing of loud sounds. The sound sources which harms the hearing sense in normal environment are the car stereos, crowded area, vehicles, high music, gun shots etc. According to a research there are about 12.5% of children aging between 6 to 19 facing a permanent damage to hearing due to noise exposures. According to The World Health Organization, half of the population between 12 to 35 is facing a hearing loss due to the usage of personal audio devices which are very loud.
Deafness can be genetic as well. Approximately 75 to 80% of people facing genetic hearing loss is due to the recessive genes, 20 to 25% are due to dominant genes, 1 to 2 % are caused due to the linkage of X-patterns and 1% are resulted due to mitochondrial inheritance.
While talking about genetic deafness, this deafness is categorized as syndromic and nonsyndromic deafness. Syndromic deafness occurs when there are other health problems in the patient aside from genetic deafness, this occurs in almost 30% of the patients facing genetic deafness. Nonsyndromic deafness occurs when there are no other health issues other than genetic deafness. Nonsyndromic deafness is faced by about 70% of patients.
Above mentioned reasons are some out of many others which can cause a loss to hearing for a short time or can last forever. If your hearing power is strong then be thankful about it and take care of your ears by saving them from exposures to loud noises.